The barman of The Horse and Groom was a human bartender who served Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent three pints each at lunchtime on the Thursday that the Earth was destroyed.
He was a football supporter, believing Arsenal would lose the game that was to be played later that day. After being told the world was about to end, he called "last orders, please".
The barman appeared in:
- Fit the first of the original radio series.
- The novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Episode 1 of the TV series
- The 2005 movie.
Behind the scenes
The barman was portrayed by:
- David Gooderson in the original radio series.
- Steve Conway in the 1981 TV series.
- Stephen Moore in the LP recording.
- Albie Woodington in the 2005 movie.
- At the time of the creation of HHGTTG Arsenal were in something of a slump, unlikely to be heavily favoured in many league matches save by their diehard fans.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.