The Wikkit Key is an artefact designed to open the Slo-Time Envelope surrounding Krikkit and isolating it from the manipulative supercomputer Hactar. Arthur, Trillian, Zaphod, Ford and Marvin (who saved Zaphod 3 times) save the universe from the threat.
The pieces of the Wikkit Key are:
- The Steel Pillar of Strength and Power (Marvin's Leg)
- The Gold Bail of Prosperity (The Infinite Improbability Drive)
- The Silver Bail of Peace (The Rory Award)
- The Perspex Pillar of Science and Reason (The Argabuthon Sceptre of Justice)
- The Wooden Pillar of Nature and Spirituality (The reconstituted ashes of a cricket stump; "The Ashes")
The whole, therefore, forms a wicket, in a typical manner for cricket (as a sport). The "Slo-Time Envelope" is presumably also a reference to the overall languid pace of a cricket match.
- Fit the Thirteenth (as the Steel Pillar/Marvin's leg)
- Fit the Fourteenth (as the Wooden Pillar/Ashes and the Steel Pillar/Marvin's leg)
- Fit the Fifteenth (as a replica in an Informational Illusion and the Gold Bail/Improbability Drive)
- Fit the Sixteenth (as the Silver Bail/Rory Award)
- Fit the Seventeenth (as the entire key)
- Fit the Eighteenth (as the Wooden Pillar/Ashes).