- “I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle.”
- —Arthur Dent's statement that caused the Vl'hurg's war[src]
The Vl'Hurgs were a species who lived on the far reaches of the galaxy. They declared war on the G'Gugvuntts, the original reason being to force the G'Gugvuntts' leader to take back what it had said about the Vl'Hurg Commander's mother, when a freak wormhole carried Arthur's words, "I seem to be having this tremendous difficulty with my lifestyle", into the midst of their negotiations - it just so happens that in the Vl'Hurgs' language, that phrase is considered the most dreadful insult imaginable. The Vl'Hurgs waged war on the G'Gugvuntts for a long time, until they realised that it had all been a terrible mistake, and the two armies joined forces to attack Earth. Unfortunately, due to a terrible miscalculation of scale, the entire fleet was eaten by a small dog.
Vl'Hurgs typically wear black, jewelled battle shorts as part of their uniforms.
The Vl'Hurgs' entire mathematical system was based on entrails and dried velohound penis.
The Vl'Hurgs appear in:
- The Douglas Adams novel The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
- The 2005 film The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
- The Eoin Colfer novel And Another Thing....